If a vehicle has been parked on a road for at least 24 hours, it may be abandoned. Contact us if you'd like to report an abandoned vehicle.
A ranger will place a warning notice on the vehicle requesting the owner to move the vehicle within 24 hours. Alternatively, if the owner of the vehicle is known, the ranger may visit this person and arrange for the car to be removed within a reasonable timeframe.
If the vehicle isn't removed, or if the owner can't be located, the vehicle will be impounded, usually within three to five days of the warning being issued. Please note if a vehicle is in a dangerous position, Council can at its discretion, impound the vehicle immediately.
To help rangers investigate and action your report, supply as much information as possible including:
- exact location of vehicle;
- make and model of vehicle;
- body type of vehicle eg wagon, sedan;
- registered or unregistered - registration number if possible;
- how long the vehicle has been abandoned in this location; and
- have you contacted the police to see if the vehicle is stolen.
To report an abandoned vehicle use the Report It page or contact us.