Dividing fence

Dividing Fences

Matters relating to dividing fences are governed by the Dividing Fences Act 1961.

Generally the Town has no involvement in dividing fences issues as they are civil matters between individual property owners.

In some circumstances a building licence may be required, such as when the dividing fence is of brick construction. 

Contact us for information on whether a building licence is required for your dividing fence.

The Department of Commerce (Building Commission) provide a guide to Dividing Fences and can also be contacted for advice.


Building Commission

 Contact Details
 Address  Level 1, The MacMahon Building
 31 Troode St
 Hotline  1300 720 715


 Website  Building Commission
Useful information  Dividing Fences Guide


Last Updated: 07/10/2013