Some items of rubbish should not be disposed of in your general, recycling or green waste bins. This includes common household products that, if disposed of incorrectly, can potentially harm the environment.
You can dispose of household chemicals and other hazardous items all year round at your local rubbish tip.
Domestic quantities of up to 20 litres or 20 kilograms per material type will be accepted free of charge, and you do not have to be a ratepayer to access this service.
Please note - hazardous waste will not be accepted from businesses or commercial sources.
For a fee you can dispose of tyres and asbestos at your local rubbish tip.
Due to the hazardous nature of the material, rules apply for the disposal of asbestos.
Asbestos must be:
- wetted down before being wrapped;
- securely wrapped in polyethylene (black plastic) with no asbestos exposed or able to escape;
- no more than one sheet of asbestos in each bundle;
- no more than three sheets of asbestos per customer; and
- packaged so that it can be lifted by the customer.
Customers must be prepared to unload the asbestos themselves.
Asbestos not meeting any of the above requirements will be refused and:
- a photograph will taken of the vehicle (including registration) and asbestos; and
- the customer will be encouraged to return as soon as possible with the asbestos correctly presented.
Customers will be required to unload the asbestos by hand onto a pallet, or into a skip bin, under the supervision of Brockway staff.
Every care must be taken not to damage the asbestos being delivered, asbestos already on the pallet or in the skip bin.