Food Businesses


Environmental health officers (EHOs) routinely inspect all food businesses for compliance with the Food Act 2008, Food Regulations and the Food Standards Code to ensure requirements of the code are maintained.

View an information sheet on Introduction to the Food Act below.


   Introduction to the Food Act

The number of inspections is based on risk assessments, determined by the type of food sold and/or produced, previous inspection results and the intended consumer. Food businesses producing food to vulnerable populations (ie. hospitals) are rated as a higher risk of adverse public health outcomes than businesses producing food for the general population (ie the higher the risk, the more frequent the inspection rate).

EHOs regularly sample food produced for two reasons:

  • microbiological testing ensures food is safe to eat;
  • chemical testing confirms foods comply with the Food Standards Code and Food Labelling Requirements; and
  • sampling may occur following a complaint regarding substandard food or poor hygiene and handling.

The Food Standards Code requires all food handlers have the appropriate skills and knowledge in food safety and food hygiene matters. Cambridge strongly recommends formal food safety training is undertaken - have a look at the free on-line training available on the Town's website at I'm Alert.


New Food Businesses

If you want to open a new food business or take over an existing business, you need to ensure you have the correct planning approval first. For detailed information on the approval process and construction requirements download a copy of the guidelines below.


   Guidelines for the Construction of Food Premises  


All food businesses must notify or register with the Town of Cambridge before the first day of trading. The business may also have to pay a one-off registration fee and annual inspection/assessment fee. Download the Food Business Notification/Registration application form.


   Food Business Notification / Registration form.


Refurbishing Existing Food Businesses

Should existing food business operators wish to refurbish or alter their premises, they must liaise with Environmental Health Services regarding the necessary approval procedures, to ensure alterations comply with relevant legislation. 

adobe-acrobat-icon.png  Food Premises Fit Out Form


Food Businesses and Change of Ownership

When a food business changes ownership, the purchaser or their settlement agent, usually obtains local government information about the business and its compliance with Food Act requirements.

To facilitate these enquiries, settlement agents and prospective food business purchasers need to complete and submit the Food Premises Settlement Enquiry Form and are charged a service fee.

The Food Premises Settlement Enquiry Form is available for download below.

adobe-acrobat-icon.png  Food Premises Settlement Enquiry Form


Liquor Licenced Food Businesses

To apply for a Certificate of Local Government Approval  - Section 39 application, please complete the below form and submit to the Town.

Payment of $250.00 applies on submission of the application

adobe-acrobat-icon.png    Certificate of Local Health Authority - Liquor Licensing - Section 39 Application Form 





Contact us to speak to a Town of Cambridge Environmental Health Officer. 

Last Updated: 13/01/2017