On behalf of everyone at the Town we hope you, your family and loved ones are safe during this unprecedented emergency situation that the world is facing.
The Town of Cambridge is closely monitoring the outbreak of the coronavirus and we are taking advice from the WA Department of Health and the State and Federal Government to assist in our response.
The health, well-being and safety of our staff and community is our priority.
We are continuing to provide essential Council services but there have been impacts to out facilities, services and events.
We are now moving to the next phase of our response, which is to implement strategies to lessen the impact of economic hardship on both our ratepayers and local businesses, and to provide support to our community.
I am pleased to announce Council has endorsed a Recovery and Relief Plan for the Town of Cambridge.
Council has approved a Recovery and Relief Plan which includes, but is not limited to:
- ADOPTS a position of another zero (0%) average rate increase for 2020-21.
- NOT increase any fees, charges or tariffs for the 2020-21 Budget.
- WAIVES interest on all outstanding rates and service charges and a suspension of any new debt collection activities from 15 March 2020.
- WAIVES the late payment interest rate of 11% being charged on overdue rates and service charges from 15 March 2020.
- WAIVES the $35 fee for special instalment arrangements from 15 March 2020.
- DEFERS the due date for payment of outstanding rates to 30 June 2020.
- APPROVES the fortnightly payment of the Town’s Creditors (currently in place), for the next six months.
- REFUNDS all cancelled bookings at Town-owned properties and facilities.
- GRANTS the Town’s Commercial tenancies a for three-month rent free period, on their base rent, with a further review to occur.
- APPROVES engagement with businesses and community groups impacted by COVID-19 to ascertain the needs and hardship being experienced.
- PROMOTES a ‘Buy Local’ campaign to support the Town’s small businesses, together with social media support, wherever appropriate.
- WAIVES the Annual Surveillance/Inspection Fees listed in 2019-2020 Fees and Charges for affected food businesses.
- WAIVES the Building Permit and Planning Development Application fees for a period of three months.
- WAIVES all Development Application fees associated with "Change of Use" applications.
- DETERMINES that Development Approval is not required for an existing Restaurant, Shop, Local Shop or Market to be used for a Take Away Food Outlet for a period of six months.
- APPROVES changes to car parking requirements, as approved by the Chief Executive Officer, to minimise restrictions to support take away and home delivery services
- APPROVES of free parking for the next three months, until 30 June 2020.
- APPROVES the Matthews Netball Centre car park to be used, free of cost, for the hospital and medical staff of King Edward Memorial Hospital, St John of God and QEII whilst Emergency Directions are in place (and other hospitals, if required).
- CONTINUES with the Town’s 'Senior’s Hotline’.
- CONTINUES to support Celia Hammond MP's Curtin Community Care programme.
- APPROVES the continuation of the Cambridge Library eResources loans and the House-bound service.
- DEFERS the payment of Building Maintenance Contributions for the Town’s Sports Clubs and Associations until further notice.
- WAIVES the winter seasonal Reserve Hire fees for the Town’s Sports Clubs and Associations until further notice.
- WILL CONSIDER any application for the Town's buildings to be made available free of charge to State Government Emergency Agencies as a temporary alternative place of work, should they be impacted by COVID-19.
Will I be charged interest for paying my rates late?
You will not be charged interest for non-payment or late payment of rates.
Do I have to pay my Rates?
We understand that these are difficult financial times. If you can, you are encouraged to still pay your rates when they fall due. We understand that this may not be possible for many ratepayers. If you are unable to pay your outstanding rates at the present time, we have extended the due date for payment until 30 June 2020. If it helps you to manage your finances, we are happy to set you up with a payment arrangement, even if the amount you are able to pay is only small. To discuss a payment arrangement or any other payment circumstances, please lodge an enquiry via email to email@example.com. A member of our Rates Team will get back to you within a few days.
How can I make my payment?
We are acting on State Government advice in minimising the handling of cash during this critical period. We ask our customers to keep safe by paying their bills from home using online and telephone rate payment options. Options include BPAY, Australia Post Billpay and Direct Debit. Check your latest notice or our website for more details. Please call 9347 6081 for any rate enquiries.
The following is the latest information and answers to FAQ's regarding the operating status of Town of Cambridge Services, as 1 April 2020.
Kerbside bin and Verge Bulk Collection proceeding as per the schedule.
if you believe Bulk Collection did not take place as per the date on your flyer please contact the contractor on 0420 982 479.
Council & Committee Meetings.
Council & Committee Meetings are proceeding as per the calendar. Councillors are in attendance via teleconferencing.
The Council Meeting of Tuesday 24 March was adjourned to two split dates of Thursday 26 and Tuesday 31 March.
Members of the public are requested to submit their questions in lieu of attending in person unless absolutely necessary. Special physical distancing arrangements will be made in this instance.
If any further alterations to the schedule are made they will be posted here.
Applications for Approvals & Permits
Applications for all approval and permits (including planning/development approvals, building permits, environmental health approvals pet registrations are to be submitted by mail PO Boz 15 Floreat, 6104 WA or email firstname.lastname@example.org
If you cannot submit online please call 9347 6000 for assistance.
Please be aware that Rangers cannot ENFORCE or INFRINGE any of the State directives regarding physical distancing and mass gatherings in public places.
Anyone who seeks to report issues regarding suspicion or evidence of breaches with self-isolation directions, or gathering requirements, should contact the WA Police on 131 444. If you are reporting a breach of physical distancing in public ensure you are not adding to it or part of it yourself.
All other Rangers Services will continue including the after hours service on 9347 6000. In person attendance at incidents may be discretionary due to social distancing requirements.
Senior and Isolated Persons Services - HOTLINE
Wembley Community Centre is CLOSED for in-person assistance and activities help.
Senior Services HOTLINE 9285 3136 for advice, further information, moral support and help.
Town of Cambridge Administration Building
CLOSED for in-person visits and meetings. All services can still be contacted by phoning 9347 6000 or email@example.com
Bold Park Aquatic Centre
CLOSED until further notice. Please be advices that all remaining Swimming Lesson will be credited and Memberships placed on hold.
For further information contact the Centre or via email on firstname.lastname@example.org
Wembley Golf Course
CLOSED until further notice including 300 Acres Restaurant and Bar and Ambrose Estate.
CLOSED to walk in Customers until further notice.
The housebound readers service is still operating as a "drop and collect" service without any physical contact. Library events, programs and activities are cancelled. This includes children’s story time sessions, talks, classes,
workshops and book clubs. Storytime Online will be available soon and can be accessed via the Library website. A wide range of free eResources are available online for members via www.library.cambridge.wa.gov.au
Quarry Amphitheatre & Boulevard Centre
CLOSED until further notice.
Leederville Town Hall, Hollyrood Pavilion, Wembley Community Centre
CLOSED until further notice. All hire fees and cancelled events bookings refunded.
Beaches, Park & Reserves
Are open as of 1 April for casual visits observing the group gathering of only TWO ( 2 ) at a time observing STRICT social distancing. This is being closely monitored. Signs are in place emphasising the distancing protocols.
Playgrounds, Outdoor Gym Equipment and Perry Lakes Skate Park
CLOSED until further notice.
All Community Events have been CANCELLED or POSTPONED including public Anzac Day parades and services.
For online and home based activities and virtual tours check or the modified "What's On" page.
Australian Tax Office (ATO)
The ATO is providing support for business including sole traders facing financial difficulty. Visit ATO website
Job Keeper Assistance here
Small Business Development Corporation (SBDC)
The SBDC is a free service provided by the State Government to support small businesses. To help you manage the disruption they put together a range of information available at SBDC website.
Please visit the Australian Banking Association website
Register your contact details here so we can keep you up to date.
Contact the Town of Cambridge if you would like to discuss your business situation with us.
Phone 08 9347 6000 or email email@example.com
Updated 6 April.
WA travel information hotline 13COVID
Coronavirus Multilingual Resource Library - access information in languages other than English
Resources for Small Businesses - support information from the Small Business Development Corporation.