Getting winter safe
Prepare your home, business and family for winter storms and stay safe and warm this winter.
Dangerous storms are the most common natural hazard in Australia and the impact is often underestimated. Storms can cause significant damage to property and also pose a threat to people, animals and the environment.
With planning and preparation, the impact of storms can be reduced, keep your family and property safe by:
- trimming branches around the home to prevent them falling on roofs or cars
- clearing gutters and downpipes of leaves and blockages
- checking the roof for cracked ridge capping, loose tiles or loose nails
- Store or weigh down loose objects around your home or work to prevent them being picked up and thrown by strong winds
- preparing an emergency kit with a portable battery operated radio, torch, spare batteries and a first aid kit.
For more information about what to do before, during and after a storm visit:
DFES Winter Safe
Need help during a storm?
For life-threatening emergencies call 000
For SES assistance call 132 500. SES Volunteers will attend as soon as possible, assistance is prioritised so please be patient.
For electricity supply faults and fallen power lines call Western Power 13 13 51.
If you need assistance with sewer overflow call Water Corporation 131 375.