Preparing for an emergency
What can you do to prepare?
When preparing for an emergency it is essential to have a plan in place that meets your individual needs. This may include the following:
- Identify the potential emergencies that may impact you and your family (for example – do you live in an area prone to bushfires?) and understand the nature of those emergencies.
- Ensure that all members of your household know what to do in an emergency situation.
- If possible prepare your response to a potential emergency in advance – discuss the plans with your family.
Make sure that you insure your property and contents to cover damage or loss by emergencies. Importantly:
- Make sure that your insurance policy covers the likely hazards in your area.
- Ensure that you have adequate house and content insurance to replace the damage and loss caused.
It's important to understand that Government assistance packages and any funds raised by disaster relief support will not cover the cost of normal insurable items. These are your responsibility.