What to do when you see a snake
During the warmer weather reptiles are on the move, so the possibility of encountering one is greatly enhanced.
The Town of Cambridge Administration Building and surrounding area is not immune to having some of our scaly friends stop in to look for food or shelter.
The following is some advice on what to do if you happen to encounter one of our reptile friends in the future.
- Though this seems difficult, this is one of the most important pieces of advice when spotting a snake or lizard is to remain calm.
WATCH IT - WITHOUT TOUCHING
- Try to keep watch where the reptile goes. This helps the licenced reptile removalist find it easily.
- Do not attempt to catch or hurt the animal yourself. Even if you think it is safe to do so. The reptile generally only attacks when feeling threatened.
CALL FOR HELP
- Call a licenced reptile remover. Please be advised the Town of Cambridge Rangers cannot remove reptiles from private property.
- If a snake is found on public property please call Ranger Services on 9347 6000 for assistance. Please note not all Rangers are qualified to remove and relocate reptiles.
- Stay calm.
- Call 000.
- Apply first aid.
- Remain as still as possible until help arrives.