Building site rules

1. Overview

The Town's Private Property Local Law(PDF, 303KB) provides for the regulation and management of matters affecting private property in the Town, which includes building site considerations such as sand drift, dust control and disposal of rubbish.

If you are undertaking building works in the Town of Cambridge you will need to obtain approval before storing building materials or skip bins on the verge, working out of the prescribed hours of 7am to 7pm Monday to Saturday, using one of the Town's parks to access your building site, or setting up a work zone around the site.

2. Dust suppression

Town of Cambridge policy 4.1.4 Dust Suppression at Demolition Sites(PDF, 124KB) and Private Property Local Law(PDF, 303KB) provide for the regulation and management of dust from private properties causing a nuisance to nearby residents.

Where complaints of dust are confirmed by our authorised officers, a direction may be issued to apply water to suppress the dust.  The direction may also instruct all work to stop until water has been applied to suppress the dust.

Ways to deliver high volumes of water to suppress dust:

  • use a water tanker with independently powered water pumps; or
  • install a hydrant standpipe from the main water supply.

For information about hydrant standpipe hire visit the Water Corporation website or call them on 13 13 95.

Note:  Failure to comply with a direction to suppress dust on a demolition/building site may result in the issue of an infringement or legal action.

3. Sand control

Section 3.25 of the Local Government Act 1995 authorises the Town of Cambridge to issue a notice requesting steps be taken to minimise or prevent sand drift if, in the Town's opinion, it will adversely affect other properties.

Controlling sand drift on building sites will reduce the likelihood of sand:

  • becoming a dust nuisance; and
  • accumulating in stormwater drains, which could result in flooding issues.

For information on how to prevent sand drift please read our Sand Drift Prevention and Sediment Control Guidelines(PDF, 803KB), or if you want to know more about sediment management head to the Sediment Task Force website.

4. Working out of hours 

The Environmental Protection (Noise) Regulation 1997 provides regulation for building construction and maintenance works being undertaken outside of the hours 7am to 7pm, Monday to Saturday.

If you wish to work outside of these hours you must obtain Town of Cambridge approval.

Apply for out of hours work approval

To apply for approval to work outside of the prescribed hours of 7am to 7pm, Monday to Saturday, you must:

  1. Complete an Out-of-Hours Application (at least seven days before the proposed works)
  2. Attach a Noise Management Plan.
  3. Attach letter to affected residents and/or businesses
Noise Management Plan

A Noise Management Plan must accompany your application, and include:

  • Construction or work site location description;
  • Reasons why work is proposed outside the hours of 7am to 7pm, Monday to Saturday and/or on a Sunday or public holiday;
  • Specific dates and times when work will be undertaken;
  • Description and duration of activities which are likely to emit noise that fails to meet standards prescribed under Regulation 7 of the Environmental Protection (Noise) Regulations 1997;
  • Information about what procedures and measure will be taken to control the noise (including vibration) emissions;
  • Confirmation that a letter will be sent to all affected residents and businesses advising of the out-of-hours works and associated noise. The letter must include a 24 hour complaints contact number (please include letter with your application);
  • Complaint handling and response procedures; and
  • Indicative noise emission levels on the site.
 Application fee $110 
Late application fee (application received less than seven days before proposed date of out-of-hours work). $160 

5. Storing building materials

You need a verge permit before you:

  • use the verge for temporary storage of building material
  • excavate adjacent to a street or verge
  • install a gantry or scaffold on a verge

Apply for a Verge Permit(PDF, 169KB)

What to include with your application
  1. Completed Verge Permit Application(PDF, 169KB)
  2. Two A3 size copies of the building site plan (scale 1:100 or 1:200), indicating verge area to be used for storage and/or excavation;
  3. Proposed location of security fencing, building materials (eg. bricks, sand, timber and steel, etc) and refuse bin; and
  4. Length of time the verge will be used for storage.
Things to consider
  • Only bins that fully contain refuse (and prevent refuse from blowing away) are acceptable.
  • Gantries, hoarding, scaffolding or any construction on a verge requires a general application approval for a Building Licence.
  • Street trees must be protected at all times.
  • Footpaths must not be obstructed and must be maintained in good condition, free of building material and rubble. In some circumstances and subject to Town approval, the footpath may be temporarily relocated provided a 1.5 metre wide pedestrian access is maintained. Footpaths must be shown on associated plans.
  • Site storage sheds/buildings and site toilets are not permitted on verges.
  • Separate applications are needed for driveway crossover and verge treatment approvals.
Store materials on a verge (residential) $5.50/mper month
Store materials on a verge (commercial or non-residential) $5.50/mper week
Gantry application $0.75/m per week
Hoarding, fencing or street enclosure application $0.75/m per week

6. Skip bins

You can leave a skip bin on your verge for up to two weeks without a permit.  In cases where the skip bin will be on the verge for longer than two weeks you will need to obtain a Verge Permit.

Apply for a Verge Permit(PDF, 169KB)

Rules for storing Skip Bins
  1. Where possible, skip bins should be stored on private property.
  2. If safe to do so, a skip bin can be stored on the verge immediately adjacent the property.
  3. Skip bin storage must comply with signed parking restrictions, and be clear of the footpath and roadway.
  4. Skip bins must not be placed on the roadway, across a footpath, in parking bays or in rear lanes.  If a skip bin is stored on a road, footpath or in a lane the supplier/hirer will be given 24 hours to remove it.  If not, the Town may remove the bin and a penalty may apply.
  5. The hirer is liable for any damage to the footpath, street trees, drainage pits, verge, kerb or road surface resulting from storage of the skip bin.
  6. The hirer is responsible for removal all debris left on the verge after the skip bin has been removed.
  7. Dangerous or hazardous waste must not be deposited in a skip bin.
  8. Asbestos must not be deposited in a skip bin, and must be handled in accordance with Health (Asbestos) Regulations 1992.

7. Access from a park

If you require access through a Town of Cambridge park for the purpose of delivering or removing large bulky items, you can fill out an application form below.

Apply for a Park & Reserves Access Permit(PDF, 176KB). Please submit the application form via or in person at the Administration Office at 1 Bold Park Drive, Floreat for assessment and processing ready for payment.

 Major works (construction by a builder or developer) $331/day
$200/half day 
 Minor works (maintenance by a resident or private individual) $75/day
$50/half day 

Note: A refundable bond is payable with the access fees.  Failure to obtain a permit before using a park to access your building site may result in a fine.

8. Working in the Road Reserve

You must obtain Town of Cambridge approval before carrying out any work in the public road reserve.

Work that requires approval includes operating a crane or cherry picker, connecting to services, or filming on the street.

The process:

  • Read the Standard Conditions below and complete a Works in Public Road Reserves application form.
  • Once your application is approved by the Town, works can commence. 
  • Upon completion, inspect for damage to public infrastructure and private property.  Arrange repair of any damage caused by the work.  

The Town requires 21 days notice to process Complex, Ongoing, or site specific Traffic Management Plans (TMP).

The Town requires 7 days notice to process Basic Short Term work or TMPs.

Apply to Work in the Public Road Reserve

Standard Conditions for Works in Public Road Reserves

  1. The standard approved hours of work are between 7.00 am - 5.00 pm, Monday - Saturday


  2. The Town must be notified 7 days prior to the works commencing and for each instance for ongoing works. 


  3. Residents and owners of affected properties must be notified at least 2 working days prior to the works commencing.


  4. Traffic Management Plans if required must be acknowledged and approved by the Town prior to works commencing.


  5. All parking restrictions and Clearway restrictions must be complied with.  Temporary parking restrictions may be arranged with the Council's Rangers on telephone 9347 6083 (fees may apply).


  6. All damage to road, footpath and verge must be repaired in accordance with the "Restoration and Reinstatement Specification for Local Governments in Western Australia" published by IPWEA


  7. All requirements of Worksafe must be complied with.  A Safe Works Method Statement for the works must be available on site if the works involve High Risk Construction Work and involves 5 or more workers on site.


  8. The contractor shall hold a current public liability insurance policy to the value of a minimum of $10 million.


  9. The Town is indemnified against any claim or action arising from the operation.


  10. Vehicles, construction materials and the stock piling of sand are not permitted on the footpath or parks areas at any time.


  11. The contractor shall apply to the relevant public utility authorities (and the "Perth One Call") for approval to alter any utility service that is in conflict with the works.  Prior to excavation works, all public utilities (Telstra, Alinta Gas, Western Power, and Water Corp) must be positively identified and located.


  12. This permit must be in the possession of the operator at all times during the operation of which the permit is issued, and be made available for inspection by any authorised officer of the Town of Cambridge or police officer on request.



9. Construction work zones

You must obtain Town of Cambridge approval to use car parking bays adjacent to a construction site for employee or contractor parking.

Apply for a Construction Work Zone(PDF, 156KB)

Area where fee is specified (bay cost/day Monday to Saturday) Actual cost 
Area where no fee is specified (bay cost/day Monday to Saturday based on 6 lineal metres per bay)  $10 per bay (or 6 metres) 
Work Zone sign  $25 each 

10. Managing large building sites (Construction Management Plans)

Town of Cambridge Policy 027 Construction Management(PDF, 466KB) and Construction Management Plan Guidelines(PDF, 794KB) provide for the regulation and management of large demolition and construction sites in the Town, to reduce their impact on the surrounding area.

The Town's approval of a Construction Management Plan (CMP) must be obtained before starting any demolition, construction or excavation works.

View current Construction Management Plans 

Apply for a CMP
  1. Read Policy 027 Construction Management Plans(PDF, 466KB)
  2. Read Construction Management Plan Guidelines(PDF, 794KB)
  3. Complete a Construction Management Plan Application(PDF, 393KB)
  4. Complete a Verge Permit Application(PDF, 169KB) (if applicable)
  5. Complete a Construction Work Zone Application(PDF, 156KB) (if applicable)