Do include in the Yellow Lid Recycling Bin:
- Paper (excluding shredded paper)
- Cardboard (flattened)
- Glass (clean and empty)
- Plastic milk containers and other plastic bottles (clean, empty with lids OFF)
- Aluminium cans
- Steel cans (clean and empty)
To create more room don't forget to flatten the cardboard, crush the cans and squash the plastics. All items must be placed loose in the bin, not inside a plastic bag.
Do not include in the Yellow Lid Recycling Bin:
- Material in bags (any recyclable material should be placed loose in the bin)
- Plastic bags and light plastic film
- Clothes or other textiles
- Garden waste and food waste
- Gas bottles and aerosol cans
- Electronic waste or batteries
- ropes, cables and garden hose pipes
Like to recycle more?
As a standard all households in the Town are provided with a 240 litre recycling bin. For no extra cost you can order a second 240 litre bin or have your 240 litre bin replaced with a 360 litre bin.
Order online to upgrade to a larger bin, or to order a second 240 litre bin.
Request a Recycling Bin
The green-lidded green waste bin is where you dispose of:
- Grass clipping and weeds
- Leaves and twigs
- All garden prunings
- Small branches and raw timber off-cuts (max length 30cm)
Having a green waste bin is optional and this service is provided at a annual cost.
The green bin is a convenient way to divert organic material from the general waste stream, with the contents of the bin converted to mulch or compost.
Request a Green Waste Bin
The red-lidded general waste bin is where you dispose of:
- Food scraps
We encourage you to use the general waste bin as 'the bin of last resort' and only use it for items that can't be recycled.
As a standard all households in the Town are provided with a 120 litre general waste bin. For an additional annual charge a 240 litre bin can be provided.
If you are thinking of increasing the size of your general waste bin please call our Waste Management team on 9347 6000.
Lose track of your bin day? Not sure what to put in your recycling bin?
Make forgetting your bin day a thing of the past with our Get Sorted app, available for free download from the App Store or Google Play.
With Get Sorted, you get:
- personalised bin collection calendar
- optional bin day reminders
- quick guide to recycling
- a comprehensive list of materials and how to dispose of them
- information about the Town's waste and recycling services
Get Sorted and help us make Cambridge a cleaner, greener Town!