There have been some changes to what items you can put in your yellow top recycling bin.
Download the Recyclables Poster(PDF, 186KB)
to see which items are accepted in the Town of Cambridge.
To help you with the changes download the Frequently Asked Questions(PDF, 175KB)
Request a Recycling Bin
What do I do with soft plastics?
There is currently no recycling solution for soft plastics in Australia. Soft plastics must now be disposed of in the red bin (landfill). If you are able, the Town of Cambridge suggests stockpiling your soft plastics until a new solution is available, but only if you have a safe space to do so.
The green-lidded green waste bin is where you dispose of:
- Grass clipping and weeds
- Leaves and twigs
- All garden prunings
- Small branches and raw timber off-cuts (max length 30cm)
Having a green waste bin is optional and this service is provided at a annual cost.
The green bin is a convenient way to divert organic material from the general waste stream, with the contents of the bin converted to mulch or compost.
Request a Green Waste Bin
The red-lidded general waste bin is where you dispose of:
- Food scraps
We encourage you to use the general waste bin as 'the bin of last resort' and only use it for items that can't be recycled.
As a standard all households in the Town are provided with a 120 litre general waste bin. For an additional annual charge a 240 litre bin can be provided.
If you are thinking of increasing the size of your general waste bin please call our Waste Management team on 9347 6000.
A new app and website has been launched to help the people of Perth to Recycle Right.
The new resource (recycleright.wa.gov.au) encourages and assists residents and businesses in Western Australia to recycle, reduce their rubbish and buy more recycled products.
Developed by the ‘Recycle Right’ education program, the much-anticipated update of the Recycle Right app features:
- Which Bin – find out at a glance, what goes in which bin along with what doesn’t belong there and the correct methods of disposal.
- Bin Day Reminders – set an alert to reminder you of which bin goes out on what day for your area.
- An ever-growing A–Z list of specific items and what to do with them.
- Find My Nearest – an extensive database of drop-off locations or recycling facilities in Perth for items such as batteries, car parts, building/demolition waste, hazardous household waste and more.
The website also provides a Resources Hub of worksheets, how-to guides, fact sheets and templates.
Information on both the app and website is tailored to the full assortment of bin systems found in the Perth metropolitan area: 3-bin FOGO (Food Organics, Garden Organics), 3-bin GO (Garden Organics) and 2-bin.
Find out more and download the app