Code of Conduct
Council adopted its current Code of Conduct for Council Members, Committee Members and Candidates at the Ordinary Council Meeting held 27 April 2021. The Code incorporates and builds upon the model code of conduct for council members, committee members and candidates prescribed by the Local Government (Model Code of Conduct) Regulations 2021, and is based on the principles of:
- personal integrity; and
- relationships with others.
It outlines the expected behaviours and relevant legal responsibilities for each appointed and prospective council member, committee member and candidate, and facilitates the delivery of good governance by supporting:
- Decision making processes that are responsible, inclusive, participatory and representative and deliver outcomes which are in the best interests of community and our stakeholders;
- Developing and strengthening public trust in the integrity of the Town and local government; and
- Strong, effective relationships between Councillors, committee members, candidates, the CEO, and employees of the Town based on clear roles and responsibilities and shared principles.
Breaches of the Behavioural Requirements
Alleged breaches of the behavioural requirements of the Code are investigated by the Town’s Independent Complaints Officer. The Town can only deal with an alleged breach if a formal complaint is made:
- using the Complaint about Alleged Breach of the Code of Conduct for Council Members, Committee Members and Candidates Form; and
- to the person authorised to receive these complaints – the Independent Complaints Officer; and
- within one month of the alleged breach occurring.
Complaints of this nature are to be dealt with by the Town in accordance with the Local Government (Model Code of Conduct) Regulations 2021 (the “Model Code Regulations”), this Code of Conduct, and any relevant policies and procedures adopted by Council.
A complaint may be withdrawn at any time, however must be done so in writing or by using the withdrawal form at the bottom of the page.
Breaches of the Code of Conduct for Employees
Alleged breaches of the Code of Conduct for Employees are investigated by the Town’s Independent Complaints Officer. The Town can only deal with an alleged breach if a formal complaint is made:
• using the Complaint about Code of Conduct Complaint Form; and
• to the person authorised to receive these complaints – The Independent Complaints Officer.
Independent Complaint Officer details
To make a formal complaint under the Code of Conduct for Council Members, Committee Members and Candidates or the Code of Conduct for Employees, please complete the relevant complaint form and submit either via
Email: email@example.com ; or
Independent Complaints Officer
PO Box 961
South Fremantle 6162