If you are building a new house or adding to an existing house in City Beach, Floreat, or Mount Claremont, the building materials and roof reflectivity requirements of Local Law 43 may have an impact on your design.
Local Law 43 includes the following requirements:
• The external walls of all buildings to be constructed of brick, stone, concrete, or similar material
• Refer to Clause 7 of Local Law 43 for more details.
• Roofs with a pitch of more than 5° shall not be constructed with metal sheeting (i.e. Colorbond) with a solar reflectivity index (SRI) exceeding 40 per cent
• Common Colorbond colours such as White, Surfmist, and Shale Grey and other lighter colours have SRIs exceeding 40%
• Refer to Clause 8 of Local Law 43 for more details.
If the building materials and roof colour of your proposed design do not meet the above requirements, the proposal will be required to be presented to Council at one of its meetings for determination.
Please note that, based on previous decisions, Council may refuse a proposal if it does not meet the above requirements.
Please contact the Town’s Duty Planning Officer on 9347 6000 to confirm if the above requirements apply to your property.