Food Business

ALERT ! Find out more about....png
If you are an existing food business, please click the button below to submit your food safety supervisor details.

Provide your food safety supervisor details here

All food businesses operating in the Town of Cambridge must be registered and comply with:

Setting up a new food business

Before constructing or purchasing a food premises of any type, please call our Environmental Health Services team on (08) 9347 6000 for advice.

Our Establishing a Food Premises Guidelines(PDF, 2MB) provide a summary of requirements for construction of a food premises in the Town of Cambridge.

The construction, operation and maintenance standards of food premises are specified in chapter 3 of the Australia New Zealand Food Standards Code.

Australian Standard AS 4674-2004 Design, Construction and Fit-out of Food Premises provides design, construction and fit-out criteria for new food premises and for the renovation or alteration of existing food premises.

The Food Act 2008 and Food Regulations 2009 require all food businesses to complete a Food Business Notification-Registration(PDF, 197KB) (fees apply).

Our Environmental Health Services team conduct risk assessments on all registered food businesses in relation to its food operations or activities. This assessment determines the inspection frequency and the annual fee. 

Before any application for registration is lodged with the Town, please ensure you have the necessary planning and building approvals.

Approval from our Environmental Health Services is required before any new developments, alterations or extensions are undertaken.

You must obtain approval from our Environmental Health Services even if planning approval or building permits are not required. 

Planning requirements

The premises you have chosen may require development approval in relation to the Town's Town Planning Scheme zoning, parking and other issues.

Building permit requirements

You may be required to submit an Application for a Building Permit for:

  • newly constructed premises where cool rooms and exhaust hood canopies are to be installed; or
  • where alterations may affect the structural integrity of the building. 

Taking over an existing food business

If you are taking over a food business that is currently operating, it is recommended that your settlement agent requests a written report from the Town's Environmental Health Services. A report advises of the last food safety inspection, any outstanding work orders and fees and charges that are applicable to this business.

To request a written report, you must submit a Food Premises Settlement Enquiry(PDF, 89KB) with the required fee.

Before taking over the existing food business, you must submit a Food Business Notification-Registration(PDF, 197KB) with the required fee.

Refurbishing an existing food business

If you are planning alterations or extensions to your existing food premises please call our Environmental Health Services team on 9347 6000 for advice.

For approval to make alterations to a food premises you must submit a Food Premises Fit-Out/Alteration Application(PDF, 162KB) with the required fee.