Beach Emergency Numbers (BEN) Program
There are more than 60 Beach Emergency Numbers (BEN) signs installed at all beach entry points in the Town of Cambridge along City Beach and Floreat Beach.
The coding system aims to improve the response times of emergency services and enhance their ability to identify exact locations of emergencies along the coast by installing signs with unique codes at public beach access points.
Quick facts about the Town of Cambridge BEN signs:
- Coded number system starts with CMB which identifies the Town
- Numbers are unique and based on the distance between the beach nearest the sign and the town's northern or western boundary
- Signs are reversible so they can be switched for beach closures when required
- Made to minimise corrosion and withstand harsh coastal conditions
- Integrated into emergency services' computer aided dispatch systems
Residents and visitors are encouraged to familiarise themselves with the codes for their favourite access points in case of emergency.
Download BEN Signage Map(PDF, 298KB)
Below is an example of a BEN sign: