Building Dispute Resolution

Residential Building work, particularly work involving a home is often the largest investment most people will ever make. When disputes arise about the quality of workmanship, specific constructional terms or things just go wrong they can become costly, time consuming and stressful. Additionally there is potential for new residential construction work to damage adjoining properties if not managed properly. This can cause damage resulting in a dispute requiring restitution that needs to be addressed by the builder who caused it.

While Council is unable to assist with resolving such disputes, there is process set up through the state government to assist residential property owners who find themselves in need of help.

It is important however to firstly attempt to resolve any disputes directly with the contractor and document this. If this is not satisfactory there is however a Complaints Resolution Process.

How to Deal With Building Service and Home Building Work Contract Complaints

This process is provided through the Building and Energy section of the Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety state agency formerly known as the "Building Commission" of WA. For further information on how this works residents are advised to go to the Department's website as follows: contract-complaints

Alternatively, Building and Energy's direct contact details are as follows:

Building Services general enquiries

Phone: 1300 489 099
Fax: 08 6251 1501

Their office hours are from 8.30am to 4.30pm Monday to Friday at:

Level 1, Mason Bird Building
303 Sevenoaks Street (entrance Grose Avenue)
Cannington WA 6107

The Postal Address is:

Locked Bag 100
East Perth WA 6892