Some items of rubbish should not be disposed of in your general, recycling or green waste bins. This includes common household products that, if disposed of incorrectly, can potentially harm the environment.
Recycling in the Town
Recycling stations located in the Admin Building, Wembley Community Centre, Floreat Forum and Cambridge Library.
Household batteries (not lead acid), printer cartridges, light globes, fluorescents and mobile phones can be dropped off at these locations.
You can recycle your x-rays and sporting goods at the Admin Building and Cambridge Library.
Empty aerosol cans can be dropped off at the Admin Building for recycling.
Please note - hazardous waste will not be accepted from businesses or commercial sources.
Most local primary schools in the Town also have recycling stations.
Contact your child's school to find out the recycling facilities they have available.
For all other Household Hazardous Waste not listed above, please refer to Brockway Transfer Station.
Brockway Transfer Station
You can dispose of household chemicals and other hazardous items all year round at your local recycling centre.
Domestic quantities of up to 20 litres or 20 kilograms per material type will be accepted free of charge, and you do not have to be a ratepayer to access this service.
Aerosols and batteries can be disposed of free of charge at Brockway Transfer Station or nearest recycling centre.
A-Z of hazardous products accepted
- Batteries (lead-acid and dry-cell)
- Compact fluorescent lights and tubes
- Engine coolants and glycols
- Fire extinguishers (non-halon,red only)
- Flammable solids
- General household chemicals (eg. cleaning products)
- Heavy metal compounds
- Gas cylinders (small household)
- Smoke detectors
- Mercury (eg. thermometers)
- Organic peroxides
- PCB materials
- Pool chemicals (eg. chlorine)
- Unknown chemicals (must be in a sealed, chemical resistant container)
For a fee you can dispose of tyres and asbestos at your local rubbish tip.
Due to the hazardous nature of the material, rules apply for the disposal of asbestos.
Asbestos must be:
- wetted down before being wrapped;
- securely wrapped in polyethylene (black plastic) with no asbestos exposed or able to escape;
- no more than one sheet of asbestos in each bundle;
- no more than three sheets of asbestos per customer; and
- packaged so that it can be lifted by the customer.
Customers must be prepared to unload the asbestos themselves.
Asbestos not meeting any of the above requirements will be refused and:
- a photograph will taken of the vehicle (including registration) and asbestos; and
- the customer will be encouraged to return as soon as possible with the asbestos correctly presented.
Customers will be required to unload the asbestos by hand onto a pallet, or into a skip bin, under the supervision of Brockway staff.
Every care must be taken not to damage the asbestos being delivered, asbestos already on the pallet or in the skip bin.